[SPAM] [squeak-dev] Spritz

Mateusz Grotek unoduetre at poczta.onet.pl
Sun Mar 16 12:56:11 UTC 2014

gettimothy pisze:
> Spritz is a startup that streams words past your eye's primary focal
> point and removes the need for eye-movements when reading.
> Since eye movements take 80% of the time spent reading and content focus
> is only 20%, they claim to improve reading spead and comprehension.

My opinion about this technology is, that it won't work, because:
1. (less important) I think there are individual differences in times
people use to understand specific words. For some people some words take
longer to process and for other people other words take longer. (Maybe
it is solvable with some learning mechanism in the technology).
2. (more important) I like to go BACK in the text sometimes, to focus on
specific points mentioned previously, and it is much easier and faster
to do it by using a saccade, than a fancy fingers-based controller.
Basides that sometimes I like to stop on a word for a second, think
about something else, and continue later. It is much easier and faster
to do it by using my eyes, than a fancy fingers-based controller. And
saccades are REALLY fast in comparison with fingers. :-P

What are your opinions?

Mateusz