[squeak-dev] Re: shortening the World menu

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun May 18 21:21:31 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Marcel Taeumel
<marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
> Yes, the world menu seems overloaded. But you cannot just remove some entries
> because you can find them somewhere else. There is no shorter access to the
> tools "Browser", "Workspace", "Transcript", "Test Runner" besides using a
> keyboard shortcut. The "Open..." Menu involves additional navigational
> overhead (point&click&point&click...). Even the world main docking bar
> involves more mouse navigation overhead than using the world menu.

We should _remove_ the inefficient ways of navigation and working from
the IDE.  When someone opens a Browser from the World Menu, they're
immediately faced with long scrolling lists and they have to click at
least three more times to get anywhere (not including scrolling!).
Talk about navigation overhead!  That route will _always_ be more
overhead than using the Search bar, or spawning browsers from existing
browsers.

> However, I vote for refactoring those things:
>
> Save
> Save as...
> Save as new version
> Save and quit
> Quit
>
> ...because I often accidentally fail to select the correct one. :) In
> particular, I don't like "Save and quit" and I don't like having "Quit" near
> "Save". :) Who uses "Save as new version" if we've got "Save as.."? I just
> spoils new versions by accident...

I could live without "Save as new version" and "Save and quit".

All told, that's 15 menu items on World Menu I could easily live without.