[squeak-dev] Does anyone recall the background on WorldState>>startBackgroundProcess?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Nov 11 21:53:21 UTC 2017

This looks like something that Andreas may have been working on circa 2001, and I
see Dan Ingalls initial stamps from 1999.

It looks to me like a mechanism for allowing a project other than the current project
to be running a UI process associated with a RemoteHandMorph, so I am envisioning
a Squeak image in which I am interacting with the current Project, while someone
elsewhere on the network might be remotely interacting with another project in
this same image.

Am I guessing right?

I stumbled across this while trying to tidy up unnecessary references to the
global World variable. Certainly if one wanted to have two projects active at
the same time (e.g. Project current and some other remotely controlled Project),
it would be good to avoid refrerences to a global World, hence my curiosity here.

It does appear to be an unfinished experiment, given the self halt that appears
in WorldState>>doOneCycleInBackground.

Dave