[squeak-dev] Monticello Package Rename Policy

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 01:24:21 UTC 2018

The rationale is that if package renames are the only operation
performed on the code is contained in their own versions, then
external configuration code can use that Version as the
"seam" between the old and new package name, without introducing new
functional changes.  A context where this is useful is a legacy
production app with a long-term persistent objects which are part of
the package being renamed.

Also simply for cleaner and clearer delineation in the code history,
and preserving the ability to "diff" the code and see the _other_ code
you want to change along with the rename, not mixed in with all the
rename changes.

  - Chris