[squeak-dev] Balance of metrics

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 07:32:35 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I would like to express the idea from the code review thread here from
a positive perspective.

I really love most of the micro-tweak performance changes Levente and
others have made to Squeak over the years.  Combined with spur and the
new memory model the system became wonderfully fast and fun to use.
And, with the 64-bit, powerful!  As a community of expert developers,
it's understandable for the metric of performance to be the top
metric.  However, I believe many are are also cognizant of the IDE's
potential to be something with incredible potential for regular users,
even directly out of the box. [1]

In that vision, the class library itself has potential to be one of
their primary "widgets" where, as users who may not write code but do
sometimes read code and interact directly with API's, because the
widget is beautifully appealing for them to read and use, it becomes
another metric worth consideration.

  Top-Layer API -- crafted for consumption, convenience, calls the "core" API
     Core API -- fast, efficient (the seam between top-l and implementation)
         (private methods --  implementation stuff)

I believe a tangible, well-crafted top-layer could be like a layer of
gold for Squeak-appeal, if we wanted it to be.  All we need are a
little beautification of select methods, some deliberate commenting,
possibly some method attribute structure and...  widget think.

What do you think?  Is there a potential treasure of appeal, within
fairly easy grasp, hidden in plain sight for Squeak?  I'm interested
in your thoughts.

 - Chris

[1] -- Did the Etoys integration get done for this release?  If so,
are there are any easy and appropriate ways to leverage this in a
"wow" way for the release?