[squeak-dev] VM crash upgrading via trunk from 5.1-17325 (420->421)

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Tue Mar 20 20:03:00 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-20 11:32, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Tim Johnson <digit at sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A full dump of SqueakDebug.log follows.  This is from trying to update
>> from #421 to #422, and the lockup occurs at update-nice.422.mcm,
>> "Installing Kernel-nice.1127".  It seems the lock up was indeed the
>> result of a "system error.   VM: Squeak 5.0, Cog Spur VM
>> 5.0-201803080952
>>
>> Note that the debug log below states my image is "Squeak6.0alpha" but
>> that is because the image is renamed as such by one of the trunk
>> updates.   The original image was in fact originally
>> "Squeak5.1-16549-64bit" as downloaded from squeak.org.
>
> Good.  I'm off the hook :-)  Your subject line is misleading; this is a
> lock up, not a VM crash.  On Mac OS X I see the lock up but see no VM
> crash.  Does it help that you can start from the 6.0alpha download
> (6.0alpha) instead of starting from scratch?

Whoops!  I'm sorry Eliot.  The one time the Win32 VM actually popped up
a dialog window (instead of an in-image offer to drop to evaluator), it
suggested there had been a VM problem.  I could never repeat the pop-up
of that dialog window, though.  Thanks...  I will be more careful about
my terminology.

Re: the 6.0 alpha image -- this becomes a catch-22.  :D  I was playing
around with updating via trunk to see if I could get around the
unaccounted-for removal of Context>>#inspectorClass present in the
downloadable 6.0alpha image.

But now I see it is present after updating through trunk too.

May be time for me to cease and desist.

Thanks,
Tim