[squeak-dev] Bootstrapped Squeak ( was Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?)

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri May 4 13:12:44 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 6:29 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene
<edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/2018, 09:40, "Ben Coman" <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>
>>> I didn't really know enough to answer properly so I went digging to learn a
>>> bit more.
>>> I started another thread to avoid getting too deep in Pharo stuff here.
>>> http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Bootstrap-familiarity-td5075568.html
>>>
>>> I believe its based on the same system that Guille used for Candle,
>>> but aimed at being so minimal.
>>> A general description available in the section "Bootstrapping Pharo from
>>> sources"...
>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo
> I found the git repo of Guille, thanks
>
>> Could be wonderful.  You've probably seen this old thread.
>> http://forum.world.st/WebAssembly-td4926166.html
> Yes, I know.
> But my idea is not to made a VM with WebAssembly.
>
> If I have time follow this git
> https://github.com/yoshikiohshima/SqueakBootstrapper

Ah ha. Thanks for mentioning it. Having a 60k (or such) byte array in
C counts as source, but one could imagine that writing that structure
in some kind of readable format.

It was a big deal for some open source community people that their
packages needs to be readable to qualify as their definition of open.
But nowadays there are other kinds of VM technology getting accepted,
and it feels like it is slightly less of a problem...

--
-- Yoshiki