[squeak-dev] A suggestion: allowing ctrl+drag in morphs

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Fri May 11 14:02:37 UTC 2018

Hi Stef,

well, since I tried to explain my thoughts and concerns, I suppose that I do not refuse just by principle. It seems that I have been failing to convey the bigger picture here. For that, I am sorry. I am no native English speaker; please treat any emotion I might transport with my words with care. I try to observe the situation, evaluate it in the context of my experiences, and make suggestions.

I will not add the backdoor you requested for the reasons I explained. I offered you some alternatives so that you can avoid "hacking [your] way into the current design." Sorry for any inconveniences. You brought up a very important topic, for which I am thankful.

Have a nice day!
Marcel
Am 11.05.2018 15:42:11 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:
> First, let me acknowledge that this is kind of a regression. :-)
>
> Now, what is the situation here:
[...]

Ok, this is the master morphic architect view. It is valid, and I
consider you do a good job at this.

Now my view is from the morphic application developer side. I have a
morphic application requiring ctrl+drag, and I can make it work. It is
not even difficult. I just ask for a backdoor so that I don't have to
monkeypatch something as basic as the event handling mechanism.

The way I see it, you refuse by principle; and this amount to
deliberately enforcing a lack of functionality without any regard to the
actual need of actual morphic applications, of which I provided an
example. This I do not understand.

> The bottom line is that you should disable the command gestures via
> "Preferences disable: #cmdGesturesEnabled". I think we should split up
> this preference into "morphicHaloEnabled" and "morphicMetaMenuEnabled".

I know. We already discussed this two years ago:
http://forum.world.st/cmdGesturesEnabled-false-gt-no-halos-td4882669.html

Nothing changed with regard to #cmdGesturesEnabled. I guess it is indeed
time for the split you propose.

> If you have more questions, keep on asking.

Please do not feel offended, but this remark is rather patronizing.

I am not asking anything, I am proposing something. As far as I am
concerned, things can stand as they are, I'll just keep hacking my way
into the current design.

I just thought I had something worthy to propose.

Best,

Stef