[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Tue Apr 2 22:00:50 UTC 2019

 Am Di., 2. Apr. 2019 um 22:54 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com
>:

> I understand that you like Metacello and GitInfrastructure and may
> wish to promote their use to others, but as Karl mentioned we already
> have existing places in the IDE dedicated to package installation, we
> should not introduce another new place, especially one so orthogonal
> to its regular purpose.  I guess you wouldn't to see "Installer
> installMagma" in there, right?

On the other hand, installing Metacello is nearly every time the first
thing I have to do in a fresh Trunk image to load any projects from GitHub
with their dependencies. The shorter the way to install Metacello, the
better. I was delighted to have it in the menu. Not that I particularly
like Metacello, but I *need* it.

In fact, this menu item is the only one in the Do menu I have ever used.
Well except for the git infrastructure one, but since I developed the
things that it installs, I am biased. Note that it was not me who put the
item on the list, although I felt flattered about it.

> The last entry of the Do menu is "edit this list", this is how it was
> intended to be personalized.  Is that okay?

Not if you would first have to edit this list to get your
initialize-your-trunk-image items into it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On that note, if there was a way to restore the saved list (or preferences
for that matter) quickly from a well-known file name, it should be on that
list. Saving it to the well-known file should be on there too.

Installing the current incarnation of the refactoring tools might be
another good candidate for an image initialization shortlist. I mostly live
without them just because the buttons to install them are too many clicks
away...