[squeak-dev] Installer class side location methods and pbworks.com documentation

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Aug 27 00:07:51 UTC 2019

Does anyone remember much about InstallerWeb and what it is intended to do? Right now it seems fairly broken and certainly a bit ... weird.

Unlike most of the repository accessor methods in Installer #web returns the class InstallerWeb instead of an instance of the relevant class. We can 'fix' that fairly easily but it's really hard to see what is meant to happen.

For example the old doc on http://installer.pbworks.com/w/page/19997682/Installer refers to
Installer web url: 'http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/5889/MakeTestsGreen39.cs'; install.
... which simply can't work because
Installer web
returns InstallerWeb
InstallerWeb url: ...
returns an instance of InstallerUrl
and the `; install` would send the message to InstallerWeb.
Oh well.

Installer installUrl: ... works rather better.

A bit more convoluted is the webSearchPath stuff that looks like it is meant to be a list of urls to look at; it isn't set by default (apparently it used to point to pbwiki?) and in fact the suggested
Installer web url: 'http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/742'; install.
can't work any more because we end up at Installer>>install: where we try to send #scripts - which is not implemented.

So, is InstallerWeb still of value? Anyone care to suggest how to make it work if so?

tim
Propaganda: a good look