[squeak-dev] Squeak and the SoundPlugin in cog VM

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Thu Dec 5 10:41:52 UTC 2019

> I have written a VM SoundPlugin for OpenBSD's native sound system
> sndio. Which means that now I have sound in Squeak on this platform.
> However I am a bit struggling with the sound quality of SampledSound's
> like in the eToys SoundLibrary. Those produce an echo effect when
> played and I have been unable to determine the cause. However the
> Bach fugue Tests sound perfect so I am suspecting some miscalculations
> in sample data somewhere on the way.

You may try your VM on the muO image available at:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm
(the direct link is http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/muo/muO347.zip)

I have tweaked the sound settings there, including the default reverb,
and made a couple fixes too pretty much all over the place.

Try for example
	SampledSound playSoundNamed:'laugh'
	SampledSound playSoundNamed:'motor'
	SampledSound playSoundNamed:'coyote'

Or:
	FMSound flute2 play: Mode A minor upwardRun
	FMSound mellowBrass play: Mode E mixolydian stepwiseWalk
	FMSound pluckedElecBass play: Mode C2 minor timeSong
	NFunction sound3 playWithDeclickingFrom: 0 to: 5
	BeeThree new playASong
	FluteSansDCOffset new playASong
	Vibraphone new playASong
	Drone new playASong

These sounds should all be clean (no click, no echo)

Stef