[squeak-dev] MC true ancestors false positive?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:45:02 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:46 AM Nicolas Cellier

> Still cleaning the inbox...
> I see this:
>
> Name: Monticello-bf.540
> Author: bf
> Time: 3 May 2013, 12:06:01.01 pm
> UUID: 759525eb-5ca8-4ab2-9e4a-bddc7d0680dc
> Ancestors: Monticello-bf.532, Monticello-fbs.539
>
> This is my allow-partial-commits mod, improved to always diff to the target repository, and merged with the latest fbs.359 trunk version.
>
> It is not signalled as false ancestor, so it means that this ancestor is in history, or another package in history has same UUID (unlikely!).
>
> But in trunk there is a different package:
>
> Name: Monticello-bf.540
> Author: bf
> Time: 4 May 2013, 8:13:11.165 pm
> UUID: b8904753-a5e5-4061-a912-49480229e91a
> Ancestors: Monticello-fbs.539
>
> Add MCReorganizationPreloader which can resolve moves between arbitrary packages.
>
> Do we really have two different Monticello-bf.540 in ancestors or what?

Yes.  Playing fast and loose with our trunk commit guidelines has
resulted in some permanent damage to the ancestry.

Monticello repositories don't support duplicate names, but it also
can't easily check against that so it has to be up to the committer
(although I suppose it could try!).

> Is there a morphic tool to visualize the ancestry graph?

No.  We should work toward eliminating duplicate names rather than
supporting them.

 - Chris