[squeak-dev] Why does Monticello mess about with the class categories so much?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Jun 7 08:35:20 UTC 2022

Hi Tony --

I think that this is an issue of reuse where Monticello reuses a portion of the basic system, which itself misses an extension point.

In the future, we should take a look at Categorizer and its subclasses to figure out how to implement such an extension.

Best,
Marcel
Am 04.06.2022 11:09:34 schrieb Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com>:
On 6/2/22 14:17, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> ...and would conflict with you being in charge of the category order.
> Hmm... a fresh image shows a particular package order. For example,
> Kernel is at the top.

Ooh, what if MC only considers it a change if the *sorted* lists differ?
Hm, you wouldn't then be able to reorder and save the reordering unless
you created a spurious addition or removal to go along with it. Ugh!

It doesn't help that MC can't revert category-reordering changes. It
says it can but then just doesn't...

Tony