[squeak-dev] wrt debugger flexibility

Jakob Reschke jakres+squeak at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:54:01 UTC 2022

Lauren Pullen <drurowin at gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 29. Nov. 2022, 04:45:

> What's
> more, since these options cause branches in different methods... in
> different packages... and might be at the whim of the person in front of
> the screen... they go beyond the capabilities of only condition handlers.

Yup. But in case anyone of the readership wonders: restarts can also be
invoked automatically by exception handlers. In case you don't want (or
need) to leave the choice to the human with the cat on their laptop in some
case. Thus restarts should be considered part of the interface of a
solution, just like the exception types to be expected.

In a game I wrote 12 years ago I used restarts to put a request that
arrived in an untimely manner (peer to peer communication between three
parties) into a waiting queue of the messaging component to be redelivered
later. That was in response to the exception of the game logic component
that the request could not be processed by the state machine at this time.