[squeak-dev] Stripper and/or Whittler for Squeak

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Jan 4 00:08:12 UTC 2023

> On 2023-01-03, at 3:35 PM, Stephen Travis Pope <stephen at heaveneverywhere.com> wrote:
>

> The idea in Smalltalk-80 was that the 5 lists in the 6-paned browser (i.e., with the package pane) rarely needed scrollbars, i.e., that there would be 12 or fewer items at each level of the hierarchy of packages, categories, classes, protocols and methods (see the screen shot below from Cuis 6).

I understand, remember, and agree with the aspiration (don't forget, I started out as a UI researcher decades ago) but I think we would need a lot of work to get close to that in a modern system.

There would need to be some package/protocol renaming etc to make the 6-pane layout work as cleanly as it might. It looks to me that some cleverer parsing of names might help.

> Flame off.

Keep the flames burning. It's how we make progress

tim
There's a guy works down the fish shop swears he's elvish...