[squeak-dev] Interesting build problem on Raspberry PI 32 bit

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Thu Mar 30 18:22:54 UTC 2023

Hi all,

First, this is not our problem :-). But it affects us.

I have kept a 32 bit Pi OS around even though the rest of my ARM
systems are 64 bit.

Until today Squeak built fine.  The last build I did was 901401c from
the 28th but tonight it started failing on Pi OS 32 bit with:

tmp/opensmalltalk-vm/platforms/Cross/plugins/BitBltPlugin/BitBltArm64.c:261:9:
error: invalid 'asm': invalid operand for code 'w'

which is bizarre.  Why would it start building the BitBltArm64.c
plugin?  It's ARM32 (armv7l to be exact).

And the is no way that the two commits since the last successful build
could have changed this.  And what do you know, that commit fails as
well now.

But there is the problem.  uname -m returned armv7l.  Yesterday

But today it does not return armv7l.  Today uname -m and arch both
return aarch64.

Which is technically at some level correct.  This system IS a PI/400
so therefore it is an ARM64, but with a 32 bit OS installed.

I think the change is this package:

libc-bin:armhf 2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u5

We'll see if Debian or Raspberry PI fixes this in the next few days.

cheers

bruce