[Squeak-e] What is E and squeak-e?

shane at shaneroberts.com shane at shaneroberts.com
Sat Feb 1 14:52:03 CET 2003

Rob,
I'm probably familiar with some of the background.

I have been a programmer since 1980 and have followed trends in
the industry over the years, to a certain extent.

I am familiar with the background of Smalltalk and Squeak.

What I am not familiar with is capabilities, which I only stumbled on
recently.  My interest in the E-list is that I want to understand how to
implement Internet security in relation to distributed objects, secure
communications, and resisting hacker attacks (not sure there is a
way to defend against denial of service under the present Internet
implementation, except for certain router configuration techniques).

Anyway, in skimming through the capabilities literature, it seems
access lists are considered cumbersome and ineffectual, and that
"capabilities or better."  Thus I am curious to learn more.

Shane