[Squeak-fr] Squat release: a minimal yet extensible Smalltalk system

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Ven 5 Mar 20:56:09 CET 2004

Squat: a minimal yet extensible Smalltalk system

... What's news?
         I was motivated to create a Smalltalk system that had only what
it needed to start and extend itself, so that newcomers could install
and run the system quickly and easily.

         I've developed a minimal system which can install itself from a
single web page visit. It's a webpage that, when visited, downloads an
installer program and runs it. The installer program downloads a
snapshot and virtual machine, then decompresses and runs the virtual
machine. The virtual machine decompresses and loads the snapshot, and
the snapshot updates itself. The installer is 60KB, the virtual machine
is 125KB, and the snapshot is 91KB, for a total of 276KB (or about ten
seconds of download time with a typical broadband connection).

Squat 1 alpha 7 is available, at
http://netjam.org/squat/releases/current/.

	Comments gratefully appreciated!

	thanks,