[Squeakfoundation]Initial project - Squeak core

Göran Hultgren squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 28 May 2001 02:17:34 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy all!

--- "Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab@disney.com> wrote:
> Göran,
>
> > > #1: Who has write access to what area? [Ian's main point]
> >
> > So... what was the problem? I mean - couldn't that have been
> > resolved? Most OSS projects has one or a few with write access
> > and everyone else just sends patches. If Ian wanted write access
> > to himself then I would personally gladly had given him that,
> > but then I would of course also... what's the word... "expected"
> > him to tend the sources somewhat regularly. ;-) You know what I
> > mean.
>
> I know what you mean :-) Incidentally, I *think* that the problem was a more
> psychological one. Since I don't want to second-guess Ian (anyone who's
> interested can ask him) let's just say that for me one of the problems was
> with the specific SF setup - e.g., I simply do not want any write access to
> anything outside the Win32 area. It's just bad. I'm sure this can be solved
> (although I am uncertain if that can be solved with a single SF project).

I would have to check on that. It is solvable in CVS but I haven't checked if it is doable on SF.

> > > #2: How do non-Unix people use it? [My main point]
> >
> > Could you do a short recap on what the problem was? I mean,
> > we are talking about the C-source right? Or are we talking
> > about the rest of the VM? Is it a problem with CVS-clients?
>
> We're talking clients. I installed SSH and I installed CVS and I installed
> some weird Win32 frontend and it was just a pain in the [insert your least

I assume it was WinCVS, it is ok, but not very friendly. But when you know the "kinks" it works
since it is just a GUI wrapper around cvs.exe anyway. You can always go CLI if you want to - no
difference from UN*X I believe. So sorry, that excuse won't do! ;-) :-)

> favourite body part here]. And I'm not even sure if there is that much
> support for Macs. Of course, I've heard rumors that there's soon going to be

Macs have good CVS clients I am told - http://www.maccvs.org

I do not know how they work for SF BUT since MacCVS itself is hosted there it ought to work...
right? :-) :-) I checked out their homepage and it says that ssh support was checked in in mars -
that was as I understood it one of the problems with the mac.

So.. nope, that excuse doesn't hold water either I think... :-)

> a way of doing this stuff transparently from Squeak ... now we're talking
> (heh, heh ;-)

Gulp. :-) But ssh might be tricky - haven't looked into that.

The protocol implementation is currently lacking add/remove (very easily added if I took a few
hours to do it), patch-file handling (easy I think - applying them that is, not creating them)
compression (we have gzip so it should be quite easy) and MD5 (we have that too, not that crucial
feature though).

Hmmm, perhaps I should throw in some hours there again... Soon Paul McDonough will start nagging
me about it too. :-)

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren@bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek