[Squeakfoundation]Visibility in the open source community

Matthew Denis Richard Sloly squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:47:37 -0800

Hi,

As I am not a programmer, I have for the most part been lurking on this
list. I am a digital artist, who is concerned with the history of the GUI,
alternative interface design, and virtual communities (especially 3D
multi-user virtual worlds).

This may be a bit out of date, but based on the discussions on the Squeak
Foundation List re the Squeak license, and also for my own research, I
decided to seek opinions on this matter from the horses mouth(s) and emailed
Richard Stallman on the matter.

First of all, he was not interested in commenting on whether the Squeak
license was "open Source". He distinguished "Open Source Software", from
"Free Software", of which he is a supporter, and so the opinion below only
pertains to Squeaks conformity with standards of  the "Free Software
Foundation." This does not mean that Squeak is not "Open source" or that it
is free enough for the purposes of the Squeak community. It depends on your
politics. Anyway, I thought that I should pass this along to the list.

- Matthew Sloly

PS- Regarding Squeak's default fonts, from an aesthetic point of view, it
would not be no great loss to replace these fonts with some that are more
standard, and graphically elegant, like Times New Roman, or Arial. I am not
sure if these fonts are free or open source, but I am sure that there are
free and/or open equivalents.

Generally, Squeak needs a design overhaul, and a consistent interface
policy. I would be happy to offer my services to the Squeak community in
this regard, if there are some programmers out there who would like to form
a team for this purpose . . . but perhaps Squeak is not at the stage where
commercial viability is yet an issue, so this may be superfluous.

M A T T H E W
D E N I S
R I C H A R D
S L O L Y

ART CENTER COLLEGE OF DESIGN, Del Mar Studios
10 East Del Mar Blvd.
Pasadena, California, USA
91105
(626)683-0951