[Squeakfoundation]Ideas for 3.7

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Jul 12 15:01:39 CEST 2003

Hi

I like the idea of andreas too. We should take care of the people
that are doing business in Squeak, they are important.

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 06:10 PM, Doug Way wrote:

> Rather than waiting until the last minute, I thought I'd throw out some
> ideas now for things which could be part of the 3.7 plan, to get some
> discussion going.
>
> Input from everyone is welcome, although suggestions should be
> things that are already implemented and just need to be incorporated,
> or something you plan to work on yourself.
>

> Here's my starter list of large 3.7 items:  (some of these are
> unfinished items carried
> over from the 3.6 plan)
>
> - Incorporate SM 1.1 which supports package versions, start working on
> dependency scheme
> - Diego's look enhancements
> - Accufonts
> - ANSI Smalltalk changes (discuss first whether we want to do this)

The idea of backward compatibility is nice as soon as it does not
hamper changes
that are worth. so I would really like to see squeak Ansi compliant as
soon as
possible
for example I do not know if this is related to that but #. is not
possible in VW.
Then I would really like to get rid of caseOf... but this is another
story.

Now for those we may think that I'm conservative, I'm not. I would like
to have
traits at the end. I think we will have our own Smalltalk breed
Squeaking with traits.
So I would like changes that are worth the pain.