LogEngine / Re: [Squeakfoundation]Ideas for 3.7

Giovanni Giorgi jj at objectsroot.com
Sat Jul 26 23:09:19 CEST 2003

Hi all!
  I'd like to do a very small request.
I have done a very small Log Engine
You can see it at
< http://sourceforge.net/projects/cat/ >
< http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/cat/LogEngine1.0.st.gz >

I'd like to put it in the next Squeak Base image, because I think it
can be a very useful tool for
developers.
It works fine with headless images, and are only 4 classes (I can
reduce them to 3 if needed ;)
It shines with web servers (like seaside) because you can have multiple
log files, and
image restart is handled in a very smart fashion: Log files are
automatically reopened when the image is launched again.
The code is only 9Kb.

Class Comment:

I am a LogClient for Squeak!
I am similar to log4j but simpler.

A Sample usage is
lc := LogClient getInstance: 'Client'.
lc debug:'test1'.
lc info:'test2'.

When you create a LogClient, you must use the getInstance: method,
passing a "Category Name"
used to create a special category log file.

LogClient features:
+ Integrated con Preferences (debug panel)
+ Can output on file and on Transcript on demand
+ Can print the method where the line is called
+ Can disable the debug level (only this for the meantime, sorry).
+ Easy to extend

--
    [   [  [ JJ ]  ]   ]  | Wondering whether a machine can think is
http://www.siforge.org   |  -- From someone's .sig