LogEngine / Re: [Squeakfoundation]Ideas for 3.7

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Tue Jul 29 09:46:46 CEST 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> For it to be a Basic package means that it will be distributed with
> every official image (at least until Minimal is online). And AFAIK, we
> consider it a good thing that images distributed contain only stuff that
> their intended audience will actually need.
>
> So I rephrase, Why should it be part of Basic or any other official
> distribution?

Another approach would be to agree on a stub method in Object that could
be implemented by logging packages.
Some may have noticed that I had a log:flog: stub in Object in my first
versions of the network rewrite. Similar semantic to the proposed
package here.

I always find it helpful to have logging available if needed without
going into code and finding out the interesting places. One example is
logging what's going on with loading in the background etc.

A stub method would allow developers to put the logging calls into place
and people can load the logging facility of their choosing if they
actually want to log something.
At least until we have #ifdef ;-)

Michael