[SqNOS] SqueakNOS running on 3.9b build 7046

Johnathon Meichtry johnathon-dev at meichtry.org
Tue Jul 18 21:19:57 UTC 2006

Hi Gera,

NetSqueak .2 solved that problem, I can ping and she lives!!!  And even with the default SqueakNOS classes the ping times average 95-105 ms which immediately says to me that 3.9b is much faster than 3.8 which is fanastic news whichever way you spin it.

The reason I had to remove the Transcript in enableIRQ was because of the error:

Message Not Understood:  SmallInteger>>hex

There are also other occurrences of that error around which mean that they are popping up in the Transcript window in conjunction with network traffic.

Here are the steps I performed to get 3.9b working.  The big thing was getting Vmmaker installed and that only starting working from Sunday so someone needs to be thanked for fixing the cause of that (Tim?). Anyway here tis:

a) Install vmmaker on 3.9 using SqueakMap  (this was broken and only started working on Sunday)
b) Install NetSqueak (release .2 from squeaksource)
c) Install SqueakNOS (release .26 from squeaksource) .. during install it will complain about the Autostartup and FileDirectory not existing - comment out the mods using debug and then process ... it'll continue and then present an error about reading data from the local file (PCI csv data).  Adandon the install at that point.
d) Edit Manually PCIBusEntry>>initializeVendorsAndDevicesMethod to include correct path for the local copy of PCI csv data file (I use my PWD)
e) Using workspace execute "PCIBusEntry initializeVendorsAndDevicesList." to load the PCI data from the local file
d) Load vmmaker using World menu and previously stored config from 3.8 image and build vm source - but ensure SqueakNOS and FFIPlugin are both marked as Internal Plugins
e) On linux build machine copy new vm source to src32 directory and 3.9 image and changes to boot/iso.template then modify the Grub menu.1st for image name and resolution etc. and then make clean&&make&&make iso etc.

I need to go through this again a few times and get take precise notes of the errors I am bypassing/skipping.

In summary I find that 3.9 is way more responsive and the VBE/framebuffer graphics are much more stable with a lot less artifacts (i.e almost none) so nothing but good news from me on that front.

BTW, the reason I had to install 3.9 Vmmaker etc was that the 3.8 VM kept giving me primitive-errors after boot therefore leaving me dead in the water so I eventaully gave up and went for a 3.9 compiled VM (which doesn't really make sense as it should not matter).

Johnathon