[SqNOS] Porting and debugging SqueakNOS vs. other OSs

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Tue Apr 7 12:23:39 UTC 2009

Hi!

Derek Peschel wrote:
> What about debugging SqueakNOS with VMware or something similar?  Has any-
> one tried, and is SqueakNOS's architecture easier or harder to debug than
> other OSs?  The VM interprets bytecodes, which creates one of the classic
> barriers to easy debugging, but perhaps the VM is also simpler than other
> OS kernels.

Once the base is working you should do very little to none native
debugging. And the base is very small... it's not really a microkernel
that it's base on, but you could say so.

All talking to devices is made in Smalltalk, so the interpreter does not
really put another layer to debug, you just debug from inside
smalltalk... of course, that's not easy when you are working on the
keyboard, video, and mouse devices, but after that, you do everything
from inside. Yes, it's easier to debug, as it's easier to debug in
Smalltalk than any other language. Talking to hardware and creating an
operating system is interactive...

    well... that's my opinion of course :)

    richie

PS: I am reading the list, so go ahead and ask questions, both easy and
hard, I'll try to answer