[SqNOS] Building SqueakNOS on Ubuntu

Javier Pimás elpochodelagente at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 03:22:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Ryan Macnak <rmacnak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the help, got a successful build.
>
> commenting out longjump + Ubuntu 10.10 => builds but SqueakNOS gets stuck
> at a slash screen

probably the VM crashed. In git version when squeaknos crashes it activates
an output console to debug and see what the error was

> Ubuntu 10.4 => same undefined reference error

yes, I think you also have to uncomment a line in the Makefile related to
including this function from libc.

> commenting out longjump + Ubuntu 10.4 => successful build

excelent

> - if you are going to compile, I suggest cloning the latest git, we have
>> worked for around a year on it so it is pretty much better (we shall release
>> a new package soon anyway).
>

> Will this be Squeak 4.1 based?  Also, what are the prospects of the kernel
> being based on the Cog Stack or Cogit vms?

the git repo contains everything but image related stuff: helper scripts,
handwritten C code, makefiles, grub to install in hard disk images. We
started working on Squeak 3.9, then we moved to 4.1 and now we use Pharo,
but all dialects should still work (we even tried cuis once and worked
without big problems). I'll try to make a complete release tomorrow.

As for Cog, it should work just fine, but we haven't worked on it yet. The
only thing that should be needed is to port the makefile, and for that we
have to talk to Eliot to get some clues.

> - maybe you don't need to compile the kernel at all. The idea is to work at
>> high level, so only in counted cases should you recompile it.
>>

> Of course, working at a high level is what makes it so appealing :)  My
> interest is to produce a version of the SqueakNOS kernel that understands
> the Newspeak bytecodes.  I am hoping that running the Newspeak branch of
> VMMaker on top of a version of SqueakNOS from circa Squeak 3.9 will not be
> too painful, or perhaps more likely, that I can add the bytecodes to the
> SqueakNOS's VMMaker.

Well, that would be a nice experience, I think that exploring security in
NewspeakNOS can be really interesting hehe. Let us know what you find out.

> Thanks,
> Ryan

You're welcome.

Regards,