[UI] UI Enhancements

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Thu Nov 1 20:45:25 UTC 2007

Jason,

I am not sure I would grant Morphic that lofty label of "hack" ;)  That
said, free, portable and Smalltalk in one sentence is hard to overlook.
My main question is to see if we would get hurt by starting with "found"
views rather than building an abstraction from the ground up.  There's
an idea: anybody want to tell us what a view should do?

I hestitate to mention it, because it might distract from MVP, but we
might want to look at Whitewater's Object Windows specification.  I am
not certain of the legal status, but it was a pretty good abstraction,
IIRC.  With that said, if I end up using Squeak for more than casual
tasks, there WILL be an MVP framework  I doubt one I would write could
be open (too many Dolphin entanglements), but I note that I perhaps
could write one and become the source side of a clean-room
implementation.

Just some random thoughts.  I will have to approach this efficiently,
seeking the most load on Squeak for the least work.  If it is going to
fall short, I owe it to all parties to discover that quickly.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com 11/1/2007 3:02 PM >>>
On 11/1/07, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:

> I suspect we should try to separate from morphic in the future, but
not
> for a first pass.  Let us know if you think of any problems.

Well, I certainly have my concerns about Morphic [1], but if there was
a way to make it more Smalltalk'ish, then maybe it would be ok.  How
many ways are there to make a view?  I certainly don't want to go the
"generating code" route of nastiness of c# and friends.

How is Interface Builder on Mac?  I read today that it is a GUI
builder with "no peers".  I also read that it does it's work by
letting the user build the GUI then "freezing" objects so that they
are ready on startup....... ;-)

[1]  To me, from the little bit I have gleaned from digging around the
image, it just feels like a bolt on.  It looked like it was really
nice in Self, but more hackish in Smalltalk.