[UI] "the new big thing" [was: MenuMorph hand weirdness]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Tue Nov 20 13:29:19 UTC 2007

I'm not the experpert on how and where to start with a *general* UI
framwork but I follow Gary's invitation to "All speculation welcomed".

Having read the LivelyKernel-SourceCode-0.7, I noticed the following (list
not necessarily complete):

- orientated towards a possible WebOS
- resources have URL (basic interoperability of material)
- imports, exports to/from other of the same kind
- graphical base objects out of the SVG box
- SVG+style is teachable to/learnable by the masses
- widgets look easy to use/reuse
- small # of support classes besides the UI framework
- worlds, hands, morphs, ticks are shoulders+neck of that Atlas
- Events / bindings are like a scripter expects them
- no observable restrictions to animations (limited only by SVG, good)
- things can be glued together without headaches,
  within the limitations (good) of SVG

For sure some of the concepts of LivelyKernel require that mixIns/traits
are supported but, who cares with a dynamic language and living objects.

And there is that remarkable comment, "my kingdom for a Smalltalk block!"
in Core.js :-D

So my question is, how about borrowing some things from LivelyKernel?

/Klaus