[UI] Re: MenuMorph hand weirdness

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 20 01:50:22 UTC 2007

Will try that as a (feel) start...
As for other efforts, I'm game for it...
Just the (maybe last) uncharted territory in themeability...

-------

This was a question to gauge the importance of having menus themed as
standard, in the general IDE sense... more of fixing what we have rather
than the new big thing.

In terms of "the new big thing" I think we have to become very much more
focussed. That means really working together. Perhaps everyone could make a
prototype system to demonstrate to us all... then work together with the
best bits?

As a start, we should be able to easily conform to any particular "look and
feel"... take the Java abstraction classes as an example. We could also
incorporate "native" (Win32/GTK) as part of the framework (different to the
"emulated" Java). I'd really like anything we do to be non-exclusive and
all-encompassing, both potentially attainable goals.

Might sound a bit "bloaty" but a framework that can plug-and-play our
concepts would be nice...

I think it comes down to the way(s) you want to be able to describe a
user-interface. Need to be able to express the intention of the ui in a
flexible manner but, also, for some applications, have exact control (plus a
lot of in-betweens). ToolBuilder does a lot of that, but is not yet rich
enough to do the latter...

There is no easy answer, however... yet. All speculation welcomed!