[UI] Re: MenuMorph hand weirdness

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:34:34 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 2:50 AM, Gary Chambers <gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> This was a question to gauge the importance of having menus themed as
> standard, in the general IDE sense... more of fixing what we have rather
> than the new big thing.
>
> In terms of "the new big thing" I think we have to become very much more
> focussed. That means really working together. Perhaps everyone could make a
> prototype system to demonstrate to us all... then work together with the
> best bits?
>
> As a start, we should be able to easily conform to any particular "look and
> feel"... take the Java abstraction classes as an example. We could also
> incorporate "native" (Win32/GTK) as part of the framework (different to the
> "emulated" Java). I'd really like anything we do to be non-exclusive and
> all-encompassing, both potentially attainable goals.
>
> Might sound a bit "bloaty" but a framework that can plug-and-play our
> concepts would be nice...

I think this is all very doable within MVP and in fact MVP would make
this sort of thing much easier to do, since very little if any code
would depend on what view was being used.

> I think it comes down to the way(s) you want to be able to describe a
> user-interface. Need to be able to express the intention of the ui in a
> flexible manner but, also, for some applications, have exact control (plus a
> lot of in-betweens). ToolBuilder does a lot of that, but is not yet rich
> enough to do the latter...

Personally I prefer to use a graphical tool to draw exactly the
interface I want, but different people want different things, so
having a nice framework that can support all of us is the answer I
believe.