[UI] Re: MenuMorph hand weirdness

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 20 19:55:27 UTC 2007

Andreas,

You raise an excellent point: Andy might well let us release my effort.
I share you assessment of the buyout.  I keep hoping they will prove me
wrong, but it appears to be going nowhere fast.  Out of respect for the
folks involved, I will stop short of declaring it a failure just yet.

As I expected, I am getting mixed recommendations re 3.9 vs. 3.10.  I
will probably go with 3.9 just since that is what Gary is using at
present.  The important thing is to stop poking at images here and there
and escalate to some real work.  It is a complicated story.  So far, my
"production" use of Squeak has been to gather literature and BibTeX
entries using an Ubuntu system that has taking over my network access at
home.  The goal is to have one fewer Windows shop in the world, but it
will take some time.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> A.Wacknitz at gmx.de 11/20/07 12:23 PM >>>
Bill Schwab schrieb:
> Gary,
>
> In terms of describing an interface, I immediately zoom out to the two
> ways one might approach it: graphical editing, and writing code.  The
> nature of the GUI editor and the language are "just details."  IMHO,
> both methods are essential for happy programmers.  I have some GUI
> generating/translating tools that I would expect to port to whatever
> Smalltalk system I end up using; they speak MVP.  If I land in Squeak,
> it will have an MVP framework, if only because I will write one out of
> frustration :)
>
> As I have mentioned before, I am concerned that any MVP work I do
would
> be tainted with Object Arts' intellectual property.  However, if I

An alternative might be to ask Andy and Blair for an explicit OK to open

your Squeak MVP framework,
if the Dolphin buyout fails (which seem to be stalled for some weeks
now).

> create a framework (tainted) and my own tests for it (by definition
> clean - right???), then the tests could be the basis for a clean MVP
> framework for Squeak.  Any flaws?  It is a lot of wasted work to write
> and then have someone else rewrite a framework, but it might solve the
> problem.  At least the rewrite would occur with the benefit of tests.
>
> With some cleverness, Morphs as views, native widgets, SVG, etc., are
> hopefully just different types of views in the framework.
>
> As a practical matter, I have a few too many Squeak images for my own
> good.  I need to archive them all, mine code out of them, and create
one
> image that will move back and forth between Linux and Windows.  Any
> thoughts on 3.9 vs. 3.10?  For 3.9, I would want the
> delay/queue/semaphore fixes; IIRC, those are included in 3.10??

I would go for 3.10 as it seems to be mostly a bug fix release with some

additional unit tests to me.
Probably you will want to wait for the final release.

Andreas