[UI] ToolBuilder

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 20:48:00 UTC 2007

On 9/9/07, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:

> I think it would be great to have a GUI built on native windows and
> menu bar(s), containing custom widgets drawn by Cairo or OpenGL. MVP
> sounds like a good idea, though that implies a Dolphin-like
> framework, and I know nothing about Dolphin.

MVP actually came from somewhere else (IBM if I recall correctly).  I
think it was even first done in C++.  Dolphin is just the only
Smalltalk I know of that adopted it, but in the course of doing so the
Dolphin guys said they thought all the Smalltalks should adopt it,
since it cleaned up their own system so much.

> I think using native windows is a much bigger win than going all the
> way to native widgets. Using the native window manager would mean
> that Squeak "plays well" with the native platform - Exposé, app
> switching, window hiding, minimizing etc all work correctly. If
> that's the case, we don't have to worry so much about matching the
> native look, so long as the feel is reasonable.

+1

> On the other hand, this would be an enormous amount of work... so
> much that there's significant risk that it would never be finished.
> And I already have more projects than I can handle, which I'm sure is
> true of most people here. Something less ambitious may have a better
> chance of bearing fruit. ;-)
>
> Colin

That's true.  We need a steady stream of college resources.  Luckily
we have a lot of professors. :)