[UI] Squeak UI/Usability Design

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Sep 23 16:54:16 UTC 2007

Every so often, I get tricked by the reply going to other than the list,
and I think this was one of them - aka, sorry if this is duplicated.

I agree, but (with no offense to Craig), suspect it will be Pavel who
enables the transformation.  Either way, it will be good for Squeak, and
interesting to watch.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> gary at pinesoft.co.uk 09/21/07 5:07 AM >>>
+1 more...

On Friday 21 September 2007 3:33 am, Chris Muller wrote:
> +one million.
>
> Don't worry Geert.  I believe this is the only possible outcome for
> Squeak; by the very nature of its malleability, people are *able* to
> reject that which is not to their taste, no matter how
> well-intentioned the forces seeking "a ONE true, grand, ultimate
> image" are.
>
> Even with billions invested by big companies like Sun and Microsoft
> could not stop forks of their flagships.
>
> Squeak will ultimately embrace that which it cannot prevent.  I think
> Craig will ultimately make his technology easily consumable and we
> will witness a significant transformation of Squeak.
>
>  - Chris
>
> On 9/20/07, Geert Claes <geert.wl.claes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Don't get me wrong, I reckon the work Gary has done with his UI
> > Enhancements is
> > a great start and it actually showed me the true potential of
Squeak.

> > Squeak should be all about choice. I reckon the Squeak image should
be
> > stripped
> > down to the bare minimum with a package loader allowing the user to
> > choose what
> > they want in their image. It is in people's nature to resists change
and
> > therefore I think it's important that the user should be given the
choice
> > how to
> > interact with their Squeak image - current Morphic package or some
new,
> > different more user friendly Morphic package.

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number:
2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts,
EN8 7EA

www.blackspider.com