[Vm-beginners] Adrian's blog; last part

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Dec 8 20:32:00 UTC 2010

readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt
is defined/was defined/could be defined/who knows? differently in the thrunk svn versus what cog has/did have/might have.

I'd suggest comparing the source in the trunk svn tree /platform/iOS/vm/src/vm/interp.c
to understand the trunk expectations of readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt and the definition in sq.h, then look at what you have
I believe

sqInt readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt(sqImageFile f, usqInt desiredHeapSize, squeakFileOffsetType imageOffset);

is the correct flavor to address issues with 64bit computers and the like, although Cog doesn't support 64bit compiles the API was altered to ensure you could pass a desired heap size > 2GB... without the number going negative...

since the OLD definition likely looked like this and desiredHeapSize being a signed evil entity would flipout the world when it went over 2GB and slid into a negative world...

sqInt readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt(sqImageFile  f, sqInt desiredHeapSize, squeakFileOffsetType  imageOffset);

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882