[Vm-beginners] Generating sources (on Win7)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:35:15 UTC 2012

On 8 October 2012 18:04, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Hello, I noticed on vm-dev, that you updated the vm compiling process to
> gcc-4. Because there are no updates to the cog svn, I assume that those
> changes are for the standard stack vm, but not cog. Is this right? And what
> would need to change to be able to compile cog with mingw gcc 4? Given the
> updates to the stack vm repository, are they (easily?) adaptable to cog,
> given some hours of fighting with the compiler, or have those projects
> diverged to far? When creating sources using the most recent versions of
> Squeak, VMMaker.oscog and Cog, I always end up with a compiler error in
> ADPCMCodecPlugin.c. If I use instead that file from the cog svn, there are
> no errors. How is the file in the repository generated? So far, generating
> the sources using the SqueakCogVM configuration, I changed the URIs in that
> method. What is the proper way to configure where I checked out the sources?
> (Telling FileDirectory>>#pathFromURI: to substitute 'oscogvm' by the correct
> path, I guess.) Thank you, Lars"
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> This list looks pretty dead. You're better off asking on the main vm-dev
> list. The question of up-to-date sources is a little complicated for Cog.
> svn is not your best destination, I'd say. Perhaps gitorious.
>
> https://gitorious.org/~estebanlm
>
> You can follow links from there to other Cog developers like Igor.

There's plenty of links on that page:
http://code.google.com/p/cog/

> The easiest thing to do about the plugin that won't compile
> (ADPCMCodecPlugin.c) is to remove it before compiling. I don't recall how to
> do that with CMakeVMMaker. That would be a straightforward question to ask
> on vm-dev, though.

to generate VM sources (and build VM without specific plugin), you can do:

config := XYZConfig new.

config internalPlugins: (config internalPlugins copyWithout: #PluginClassName ).

(or same for #externalPlugins: )

then:

config generateSources; generate.

If you need to see what plugins included by default, you can inspect

XYZConfig new internalPlugins/externalPlugins

> Chris

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.