[Vm-dev] Re: A Smalltalk object database idea

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Tue Dec 29 16:56:44 UTC 2009

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reference.  OOZE and maybe LOOM (I couldn't see much about
LOOM) seem to be virtual memory for objects.  A way to expand the size of
memory.  I'm talking about an object database built with virtual memory
ideas.  I know databases are ways to expand the size of memory but I'm
looking at their persistence feature and not making memory look bigger.

In my scheme, the lookup table is used to find persisted (database only)
objects in memory.  Non database objects are NOT in the lookup table. Other
than the time it takes to test if an object is persisted (a bit that
indicates it is in the database) processing of non database objects is
normal.

Database objects need a little more work.  If they are in the lookup table,
they are easily found in memory.  If not in the lookup table, they can be
read from the database and the lookup table updated.

Lou