[Vm-dev] 64Bit image on Squeak Cocoa 5.7.4 VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 14 00:48:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 01:16:42AM +0200, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 13.04.2011 22:35, Tobias Pape wrote:
> >
> >Hi ?
> >
> >I've just traced my first 64bit image
> >using the SystemTracer.
> >
> >The ckformat utility reports the Version
> >number as 68002 (i.e. really a 64bit image).
> >
> >As far as I know, the 5.7.4 Cocoa Vm is
> >a Combined (or how to call it) 32bit/64bit vm,
> >but it tells me:
> >
> >This interpreter (vers. 0) cannot read image file (vers. 68002).
> >Press CR to quit...
> >
> >which is a bit dissapointing. Did I misinterpret
> >the line in the Menu bar that says
> >?Squeak VM Host 64/32bits??
> >
> >So Long,
> >	-Tobias
> It means the VM internally is 64bit, while it runs 32bit images.
> You'd need a 64/64bits VM to run your image.
>
> I'm pretty certain you can find one for download by searching the list.
> If not, it (was at least) one of the targets in the XCode project you
> can find in iOS platform in trunk. (10.5 SDK iirc)
> Not quite sure which version of VMMaker you'd need to use to generate
> sources though.

Any recent VMMaker (trunk version, not oscog) will do. For that matter,
the source distributions on squeakvm.org/unix would work because it's
just a compile time option, but some of the plugins are not updated
to work when compiled 64-bit so it's a lot easier to generate the
sources you want out of VMMaker.