[Vm-dev] CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 09:25:47 UTC 2011

Hi,

Stefan Krecher wrote:

> Does networking have a priority in your port?

I got sockets to work: the problem was in proper polling, so socket
handlers can be run. See [1]. I can open Monticello repos and install
packages on the tablet for example, but compilation may appear slow
(depending on the CPU of course).

> Tried your port on Samsung Galaxy S I9000 with Android 2.2 but got
> only a blank/ black screen. But this is no tablet, it's a cell-phone

Did you place the image, sources, changes anywhere underneath of your
sdcard root mount point? Do you see a list of images when you start
the application?

Does the previous version
http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/sqandr_pres.apk (of Apr
11, 2011) behave same way?

You may download this file:
http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/sqandr_pres.zip (this is a
Squeak 3.9 image) and unpack it on your sdcard. See

http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/TestDrive

BTW this should work with new VM as well, and progress indicators are
much better animated.

The images would be looked under whatever
Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory().getAbsolutePath() returns
plus few hardcoded paths in the application XML resources descriptor
file. The code (same as in the previous Squeak VM) is in

http://gitorious.org/~golubovsky/cogvm/dmg-blessed/blobs/master/platforms/android/project/src/org/cog/android/CogActivity.java

see functions File[] findImageFiles(String[] dirs) and File[]
findImages(String dir)

Also see the file /sdcard/jni.log - does it contain anything?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-August/009258.html

--