[Vm-dev] [Pharo-project] Plan/discussion/communication around new object format

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Fri Jun 15 08:48:55 UTC 2012

> Remember, what i have been told when i implemented a language-side
> scheduling, removing the
> need of VM to even know that is Semaphore?
> I been told *it is slow*. And this was the *only* argument against it,
> why it is found unacceptable.

I think you might be misremembering. IIRC, the real argument was the risk
(albeit expressed as performance concerns) of replacing VM-level scheduling
by image-level scheduling without further ado. I don't recall that anyone
had an objection to image-level scheduling as an option in addition to
VM-level scheduling. In which case one can experiment with the implications
and learn from the change in the environment without necessarily committing
the production systems to an unproven feature.

Cheers,
  - Andreas