[Vm-dev] image install of ubuntu 64-bit has an issue

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 24 22:59:53 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 04:05:08PM -0400, Robert Withers wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On 10/22/2015 09:51 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> >>Thanks for the information, Dave.  Do I understand that this image is a
> >>64-bit, Squeak 4.6 image?
> >Basically yes. It is a 4.5 image updated to #15102, which is similar to
> >the 4.6 release image. See attached SystemReporter for the details. You
> >can also trace your own 4.6 image to 64 bits if you want an exact copy.
>
> I tried to build these vms and the 32-bit vm blew up on me with this:
>
> Here's my attempt to build and run the 4.6 32-bit interpreter on a
> 64-bit image, which I had build as above.
>
> rabbit at rabbithole:~/warren/interpreter-4.6/build$ build/squeakvm
> TrunkImage-64.image
> could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>   - check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/4.14.2-3479/vm-display-X11.so
> exists, or
>   - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>   - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> I cleared DISPLAY and ran again:
>
> rabbit at rabbithole:~/warren/interpreter-4.6/build$ build/squeakvm
> TrunkImage-64.image
> squeak: could not find any display driver
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> Not sure what's happening.

It looks like you are trying to run something out of your build directory?
That will not work. The VM needs to be able to find its plugins and
VM modules in known directory paths, and if you accidentally mix up
the executable modules from various VMs, you will get core dumps and
"module not found" problems.

Try "sudo make install" to get a proper installation, then "squeak myimage".
The /usr/local/bin/squeak script will look at your image, figure out what
executables to use, and run them from the appropriate
/usr/local/lib/squeak/<someversion>/ directory.

Note that both Cog and Spur VMs may attempt install on top of the same
/usr/local/bin/squeak and/or /usr/bin/squeak path. On my systems, I resolve
the conflicts by renaming the cog and spur VMs to /usr/local/bin/cog and
/usr/local/bin/spur respectively. So if you have spur installed now as
/usr/local/bin/squeak, you may want to rename it to /usr/local/bin/spur
before you do your "sudo make install".