[Vm-dev] image install of ubuntu 64-bit has an issue

Robert Withers robert.w.withers at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 23:25:33 UTC 2015

On 10/24/2015 06:59 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 04:05:08PM -0400, Robert Withers wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,

>>> Basically yes. It is a 4.5 image updated to #15102, which is similar to
>>> the 4.6 release image. See attached SystemReporter for the details. You
>>> can also trace your own 4.6 image to 64 bits if you want an exact copy.
>> I tried to build these vms and the 32-bit vm blew up on me with this:
>>
>> Here's my attempt to build and run the 4.6 32-bit interpreter on a
>> 64-bit image, which I had build as above.
>>
>> rabbit at rabbithole:~/warren/interpreter-4.6/build$ build/squeakvm
>> TrunkImage-64.image
>> could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>>    - check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/4.14.2-3479/vm-display-X11.so
>> exists, or
>>    - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>>    - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>>
>> I cleared DISPLAY and ran again:
>>
>> rabbit at rabbithole:~/warren/interpreter-4.6/build$ build/squeakvm
>> TrunkImage-64.image
>> squeak: could not find any display driver
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>>
>> Not sure what's happening.
>>
> It looks like you are trying to run something out of your build directory?
> That will not work. The VM needs to be able to find its plugins and
> VM modules in known directory paths, and if you accidentally mix up
> the executable modules from various VMs, you will get core dumps and
> "module not found" problems.
>
> Try "sudo make install" to get a proper installation, then "squeak myimage".
> The /usr/local/bin/squeak script will look at your image, figure out what
> executables to use, and run them from the appropriate
> /usr/local/lib/squeak/<someversion>/ directory.
Alright, I've tried this. I saw the -vm-display-X11 option, as well.
Here is what I am getting now:

rabbit at rabbithole:~/warren/interpreter-4.6/build$ squeak -vm-display-X11
TrunkImage-64.image
Could not open display `(null)'.

Ok, I set $DISPLAY to ':0' and it launches the squeak vm on the 64-bit
image, but the fonts are blocked out. I am attaching a screenshot.

> Note that both Cog and Spur VMs may attempt install on top of the same
> /usr/local/bin/squeak and/or /usr/bin/squeak path. On my systems, I resolve
> the conflicts by renaming the cog and spur VMs to /usr/local/bin/cog and
> /usr/local/bin/spur respectively. So if you have spur installed now as
> /usr/local/bin/squeak, you may want to rename it to /usr/local/bin/spur
> before you do your "sudo make install".
That's a great idea because I am losing track of which is which.

--- Robert