[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Removing most of the windowing code

Ronie Salgado roniesalg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 06:05:09 UTC 2016

Now I found the FFI problem with MinGW , I was missing some old compilation
flags on my CMake scripts. I still have to fix this same bug with MSVC, but
at least normal Pharo image can eval "1+1" without crashing, and stdout is
working properly now in Windows. During the rest of the week I will make
this VM variant working completely on Linux, Windows and OS X, with SDL2
and hopefully we will get OSWindow working alot better in Windows and Mac.
(In Linux it was already working pretty well, probably because each X
connection has its own event queue).

Interesting to note Microsoft is moving to Clang [1] to replace their
> C1 front-end, which should(?) make cross-platform with OSX and Linux a
> bit easier. Anyone know if that means MVSC might be better to use on
> its own than using MinGW/Cygwin?
>
> [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/21/microsoft_promises_
> clang_for_windows_in_november_visual_c_update/
>
> cheers -ben

In Windows the standard compiler is MSVC, despite it has a poorer quality
than gcc/clang. The movement to the clang front-end is something where it
is not possible to rely until it becomes stable.
It is quite clear that the VM is not meant to be used with MSVC, because it
is not being built and tested with it all of the time. However, in some
platforms, the only alternative is MSVC.

Best regards,
Ronie