[Vm-dev] FileHandleTest>>#testTruncate Pharo test case for FilePlugin/ CogVM on 64bit linux

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 07:26:43 UTC 2018

Hi Markus,

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 09:11, Markus Fritsche <mfritsche at reauktion.de> wrote:

> The above test fails for me. The assert fails since the result of handle
> size is 5, not 3 as expected. I tested on 32 bit Windows, 32 bit Linux
> (ext4) and 64 bit Linux (btrfs), and only the 64 bit version fails.
>
> As by
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13494417/ftruncate-on-file-opened-with-fopen
> - a file descriptor needs to be flushed before being truncated. It seems
> to be coincidence that this has worked on 32 bit systems.
>
> The FilePlugin doesn't do that. Should the FileHandle class be changed
> for this, the Plugin code, or is the test invalid?

The test passes in my Pharo 7 64 bit image with Ubuntu 16.04 on ZFS.

Are you able to test on a file system other than btrfs?  Or anything
else that might be different in your environment?

P.S.  I'm not saying that FilePlugin shouldn't be changed, I haven't
looked at it, but it would be nice to reproduce the issue first.

Thanks,
Alistair