[Webteam] Front Page

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Tue Jan 9 21:54:35 UTC 2007

Brad Fuller wrote:
> What do you guys think about rearranging the front page to be a bit
> more sparse? Less text with "About Smalltalk" more about the cool
> applications that are happening. Specifically today, seaside and olpc
> are have enthusiasm around the world and maybe we could take advantage
> of that ride to promote Squeak on the first page.  I like the next
> steps area (although it might be too long)
> The "Main Squeak Portals" seems redundant because they are on the
> right side. We could use the explanation text as the mouse hover text
> on the right so we don't lose the descriptions of the portals.
>
> Just a thought.

Based on some input that we've seen floating around on squeak-dev, I've
changed the front page of wwwtest.squeak.org to see if it would meet
with positive results from others. Here's what I did:

* I've added a "news" box on the right side.
* I moved the "links" box to the left (because the news on the left was
just too small)
* I made the front page more sparse to enhance the appeal for beginners
searching for squeak.
* I removed the long "About Squeak" section. This can be integrated in
the About page if we want.
* I removed the "Main Squeak Portals" section. It's a duplicate of what
is in the links box (except for Planet Squeak, which I added to
"Links"). The problem is that we lose the description of the links. If
there was a easy way to add these descriptions as balloons text when
your mouse hover's over the link, that would be idea. I don't know how
to do that.

what do you think?

--
brad fuller