[Webteam] Need Comments and Final Approval

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Jan 12 21:41:07 UTC 2007

Alex Perez wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Ken G. Brown wrote:
>>> Good work.
>>> Looking at <http://wwwtest.squeak.org>...
>>>
>>> - There appears to be an extra blank line just below the title Take
>>> Part in the Innovation.
>>>
>> Hmm... I believe that's on purpose because it's too tight to the
>> header at the top, otherwise.
>
> One should *never* use text to format pages. Beat this old habit out
> of yourself.  Use CSS, and simply define a margin or padding. You can
> do this inside any HTML element in a one-off fashion without a
> standalone stylesheet by simply adding ' style="margin-bottom: 10px;"
> ' (or padding-bottom, -top, etc.) anywhere you please.

Text wasn't used to format the page. It's not an extra line, it seems to
be an artifact of using the smallwiki's table function. I think the
result looks good, actually. Sets off the points we want to make.

>>> - A day or so back the test site had matching light yellow
>>> background for the center pane with the main text.
>>
>> Do you mean like the bg color of the boxes?
>
> once again, set these with CSS. Use the background-color property.

I'm only asking  what color he liked. All the formatting, colors, etc.,
was done with CSS.

>>> I thought it was kind of effective. I also like the green coloring
>>> of the Downloads pane as in <http://www.squeak.org> now. Perhaps the
>>> background colors could be different for each type of pane?
>>>

>> Karl likes the old colors. Do you like ALL the old colors?
>
> It would seem so :) At least, I do.

That's 2.

>>> - I like the Weekly Squeak location for news. I'm wondering if
>>> 'Weekly Squeak' is explanation enough or does it need the word
>>> 'News' there somehow?
>>>

>> All that text is from an automatic feed.
>>
>>> - What does the small 'View' link at the upper right mean? Is it
>>> necessary?
>>>

>> This is a wiki. You should see: View | Changes | Search.  If one logs
>> in, they have more options at that location (like, edit, history).
>
> It's a wiki, but it's a website contained in a wiki, basically using
> the wiki as a content management system. Normal visitors will not want
> to be making changes. I would personally place the links at the bottom
> of the page, since this is unnecessary for 99% of *visitors*. Your
> site should be most convenient for visitors, not for the web
> editors/developers :)

Yeah, I guess we could put them at the bottom or out of the way
somewhere.  Note that this isn't new - it has always been this way)