[Webteam] Re: CSS tool

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Jan 20 18:38:07 UTC 2007

Karl wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> Karl wrote:
>>
>>> Brad, did you see this tool on Digg?
>>> http://isnoop.net/tools/css.php
>>>
>>> I just tested, it reduced the size off the css with 28 %
>>>

>> I ran it on newstyle7.css and quickly compared. It looks like it
>> condenses styles that are the same. The only problem I see with this is
>> that if you want to change, say, h1 of one style and it's the same as
>> another, you'll have to split them out.
>>
>> It might have done some other things too, but I didn't check to closely.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing it out!
>>

> The times I been working with the css it was a not a fun experience.
> Lots of scrolling and searching for tags etc.
> If the css can be improved without breaking, it would a benefit.
> The tool lists the elements alphabeticaly which is a good idea, less
> scrolling.
> So maybe it's a good idea to try it.

Sure, I'm game. It doesn't consolidate it too much. Check out the
differences first to see if you think it would reduce your time. The
consolidated file might be a bit more cumbersome if you were trying to
find the h1 of one style that was consolidated in the paragraph of another.

Here are some examples. Originally, each "#..." was located in their own
area in the css:

#path .listItem, #actions .listItem {
	display:inline;
	margin:0px 2px 0px 2px;
}

consolidated:
#session h1, #path h1, #actions h1, #validator h1 {
	display:none;
}

See the attached and compare.

--