[Webteam] Suggestion for Squeak Website

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Tue Jan 30 21:39:44 UTC 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Ruben Bakker wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> As the author of eCompletion I really appreciate the link and
>> Screenshot of eCompletion on the http://www.squeak.org/Screenshots/
>> page.
>>
>> As I have moved from
>> http://homepage.mac.com/monique_bakker/squeak/eCompletion.html a
>> while
>> ago, it would be very helpful if you could change the link to
>> http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion/.
>
> I changed it to:
> http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion/index.html

Might I suggest that you not link in this manner? When you link to a
directory, you let the HTTP server handle which file types can be
served up automatically. This can include any file type which is
specified, but typically by default also includes shtml (server-
parsed HTML), php, asp, jsp, etc). When you link directly to an HTML
file, your links are more likely to break in the future, if, for
instance, the site were to switch to a dynamic content management
system such as seaside or some type of wiki, for instance. Basically,
linking in this way invites more e-mails from people saying "can you
please fix this link" in the future, and it removes the ability for
site maintainers to switch to modern content management systems
without things breaking.

</HopefullyInformativeRant>