[Webteam] New experience improvement request on #Squeak

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 22:39:15 UTC 2008

Thanks for the input, Ken. We don't provide a link to seaside and
other squeak variations on the squeak.org download page. But, we do
have a brief explanation, with links, on the front page. These links
take the user right to the appropriate website that has much more info
than we can give at the squeak.org site

 e.g.:

==============
    *  Seaside is a framework for developing sophisticated dynamic web
applications by using Continuations dramatically easing the complexity
of web application development.

    * Croquet is an open source software platform for creating deeply
collaborative 3D multi-user online applications. It features a network
architecture that supports communication, collaboration, resource
sharing, and synchronous computation among multiple users.

    * Sophie is a digital media assembly tool to combine images, text,
video, and audio into a single multimedia document such as slideshows,
presentations and annotated video

==============

Is the request to have something like this on the download page?

In addition maybe we need to make it clear on the download page that
the basic download is squeak only?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Ken G. Brown <kbrown at mac.com> wrote:
> A new back-to-Smalltalker had requests today on #Squeak for a bit better info for what is included in downloads.
>
>  >as a re-newbie, i'd just like some clarity on the contents of squeak packages. for example is "seaside"  included a brief description of seaside would be nice-to-have. i shouldn't have to chase that down across the 'Net.
>
>  So basically before clicking a download, whether it be for a dev, web, croquet or other image, what is included in the download?
>
>  And of course, as part of improving the new person's experience, all-included QuickStart downloads would be a potential improvement.
>
>  Ken G. Brown

Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com