[Webteam] Download box, order, adding Linux

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:45:48 UTC 2008

The site is about Squeak, not about OS.

I've been running Macs since 1988 and have a fine collection in my
basement. I still have a working OS X box and an OS 9 laptop box that
my daughter uses. My sons both run Ubuntu daily. My wife runs Windows.
I mostly use my laptop from work running Windows.

I run Squeak on all of them. Often the same image (the old Mac laptop
is the exception).

Now if you wanted a reason to favor Mac, Squeak's history traces
through Apple Smalltalk (and some of the GUI still has some Mac-isms
that go back to something like System 6 or earlier (before we started
calling it OS anything).

The reason to list Windows first is probably because that is the most
frequently downloaded.

The pro Mac and anti-Windows stuff makes no sense to me at all. Most
companies are incredibly closed when they have the dominant position
(Apple iTunes) and more open when they aren't (IBM). Most are quite
schizophrenic in this regard with some groups within the company being
more open and others more closed. If you want to know which is which,
check their market position. Even Microsoft has been open-sourcing
some components; RedHat has tried to close up parts of their
Enterprise offering.