[Webteam] Re: Notice about the etoys license

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 23:53:38 UTC 2008

This line makes the rest of the text on the page unclear:

"Etoys 4 is no longer distributed under the license listed on this
page. Its licensing terms are described at Viewpoints Research
Institute, who holds the copyright for Squeak and Etoys"

It states that VPRI holds the copyright to Squeak and you must go to
VPRI to view the Squeak licensing terms. But, right after this
sentence is work on the change to Apache 2.0 and the current licensing
terms for Squeak. Confusing to me.

Perhaps a clarifying sentence regarding the licensing terms, and the
legal difference between squeak and etoys could immediately follow
this sentence so it's clear. It seems to say that etoys and squeak are
bundled together. (they may be together for this particular release,
but there are versions of squeak that have licensing terms different
from etoys)

----
Also, the following is a bit unclear even though it's in the section
of "Upcoming License Change":

"In 2006, VPRI began to collect "Distribution Agreements" for all
contributors to Squeak since V1.1 up to V3.8, asking them to relicense
their contributions, which were originally licensed under SqL, to the
MIT license. This was a great effort on behalf of many and VPRI has
100s of signed documents agreeing to this."

It sounds like the work is done. Perhaps changing "was" to "is":
"This is an ongoing effort on behalf of many authors and VPRI has
100's of signed documents converting to the new Apache 2.0 license.

Also, Maybe we should add a clarifying line, like:

"We have not yet converted Squeak to the Apache 2.0 license. Squeak is
still under the Apple License as cited below. Our anticipated date of
conversion is xx/xx/xx"

---

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:14:01PM -0800, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>> At Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:51:01 -0700,
>> Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>> >
>> > There is ongoing discussion about including etoys in debian,
>> > fedora, and ubuntu. Several people have looked at
>> >
>> > http://squeak.org/SqueakLicense/
>> >
>> > and are confused, as that license is not the MIT/Apache license
>> > that we are advertising etoys to be available under. For the
>> > latest discussion, see the emails with the subject "Sugar in
>> > Edubuntu":
>> >
>> > http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2008-November/thread.html
>> >
>> > I would like to add the following notice to the top of the page:
>> >

>> > Notice regarding Etoys
>> >
>> > Etoys 4, a product derived from Squeak and distributed
>> > with Sugar<http://sugarlabs.org> and the One Laptop Per
>> > Child<http://laptop.org>, is no longer distributed under the
>> > license listed on this page. Its licensing terms are described
>> > at Viewpoints Research Institute<http://www.vpri.org/vp_wiki>,
>> > the copyright holder for Squeak and Etoys
>>
>>   That would be helpful.  Thank you for the suggestion!
>>
>>   Janko, could you do that?
>
> I did it: http://squeak.org/SqueakLicense/
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/